Bible Verse of the Day

Hardwork or Hardlife?!

Wednesday, June 24, 2009




Go to work in the morning and stick to it until evening without watching the clock. You never know from moment to moment how your work will turn out in the end
Ecclesiastes 11:6 (TM)

I am privileged to have all kinds of fathers, from professional, spiritual to of course, biological. I spent the last Fathers’ Day celebration to call and send gifts to all of them and they all poured out blessings on me. But when I called one of my professional fathers who is a fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN) and was recently promoted to the post of a Permanent Secretary, after praying for me, he said Emma, work hard o!

Of course, this fatherly counsel is not new but it hit me this time like thunder strike that I had to pause a bit but when I recovered from the strike in a few seconds, I whispered “I will try more sir.”

When I hung up, I pondered on what he told me particularly because he has risen through the ranks to the peak of his career.When does hard work becomes hard enough? Am I not hard working enough? What new grounds can I break? The question kept coming which eventually led to what the very words of Christ says in John 5: 17.. "My Father has never stopped working, and that is why I keep on working."

God does not like idleness! In fact, God showed us how important it is to Him from the very beginning such that he gave Adam a work to do before He gave him a wife.

It is an error for a man to get married without a work.
Please don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying we should become workaholics but we should work up to the point that work knows we are working it. Many give up too soon. There is no place for the lazy in the world.

As a matter of truth, the lazy person weighs equally as a great waster. Why? Because a lazy man will never fully develop the latent potentials that God has bestowed upon him thereby wasting it. Proverbs 18: 9 puts it this way, “A lazy person is as bad as someone who destroys things”

Your guaranteed way out of Hardlife is Hardwork.

I try to read a chapter of the book of proverbs per day because it has 31 chapters which goes for the numbers of days in a typical month. Proverb shares so much about the end of the lazy.

Friends, I know you are putting in all your effort. But the truth is that we can do even more. Someone once said the difference between extra-ordinary and ordinary is just the prefix, extra. To be outstanding, we need to do more. So challenge yourself to diligence in adding value to the life of others (this is the greatest of work). As a matter of fact, any work you claim to do that does not make a direct effect on advancing the life of others is not worth doing.But we should also remember to ask for God’s favour on our labour to produce.

Things to note about work
- It is not a curse. Man had work before his fall in Eden
- It is one of the major channels through which God blesses us. (Psalms 1: 3…and whatever he DOES shall prosper)
- It is one of the ways by which our value on earth is measured. We mostly introduce ourselves to others by what we do.

Check out what Proverbs 6: 6- 11(TM)
You lazy fool, look at an ant.
Watch it closely; let it teach you a thing or two.
Nobody has to tell it what to do.
All summer it stores up food; at harvest it stockpiles provisions.
So how long are you going to laze around doing nothing?
How long before you get out of bed?
A nap here, a nap there, a day off here, a day off there, sit back, take it easy
—do you know what comes next?Just this:
You can look forward to a dirt-poor life, poverty your permanent houseguest!

Even if you've not gotten what you love to do, do what you have now and then what you love will come. By all means avoid idleness.
Whatever your hands find to do....... do it with all your might.
Shall we pray;
Lord, cause your favor to rest on our labour to bring forth fruitful flavors. Amen

Posted by Unknown at 10:00 AM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment